Eastern Students Win Medals at SkillsUSA State Competition
The Eastern Center for Arts and Technology SkillsUSA medal winners will head to the national SkillsUSA competitions in Kansas City, Missouri. A few medal winners are from Upper Moreland High School.
Thirty-eight students from Eastern Center for Arts and Technology (EASTERN) in Willow Grove competed in their skill areas or with their leadership proficiency at the SkillsUSA State Competitions held April 18, 19 and 20 at the
Hershey Convention Center. Students from Pennsylvania took part in the competition. Gold medal winners will represent EASTERN at the national-level competitions to be held June 23-27 in Kansas City, Missouri. SkillsUSA is
a national student leadership organization that encourages students to be productive individuals in our democratic society, work to their potential, become responsible, be proud of their accomplishments and supportive of their community. Medalists from EASTERN include:
Gold Medal Winners –
- Chapter Display – EASTERN Commercial Art students, Kristen Fitzpatrick, a senior from Hatboro-Horsham High School; Tatyana Leonova, a junior from Lower Moreland High School; and EASTERN Electrical Technology student, Angelo Patiri, a senior at Upper Moreland High School.
- Door Design –Scott MacKinlay, EASTERN Commercial Art student and a senior from Upper Dublin High School.
- Internetworking – Benjamin Welch, EASTERN Computer Network Administration student and a senior at Upper Dublin High School.
- Job Interview – Michael Gabage, EASTERN Computer Network Administration student and Jenkintown High School senior.
- Pin Design – Allison Bittner, EASTERN Commercial Art student and Abington High School junior.
Bronze Medal Winners –
- Career Pathways: Business Management & Technology – EASTERN Computer Network Administration students, Alex Husarenko, a junior from Hatboro-Horsham High School; Joel Stilwell, a senior from Springfield Township High School; and Amy Pertuset, a junior from Upper Moreland High School.
State Wide Officer 2012-2013 –
- EASTERN Computer Network Administration student, Shawn Moore, a junior from Upper Moreland High School, has been selected as a new SkillsUSA Pennsylvania State Officer.
Six of the EASTERN students at the competition were delegates for Shawn to assist him in his mission to become elected as State Officer. The student delegates included EASTERN Commercial Art students Justin Cornelius, a homeschool junior from Cheltenham School District, and Zoe Reynolds, a junior from Springfield Township High School; Darrin Johnson, EASTERN Computer Network Administration student and junior from Springfield Township High School; Kevin Lynch, EASTERN Protective Services student and a junior at Jenkintown High School; Nathan McCree, EASTERN Electronics Engineering Technology student and a junior from Upper Moreland High School; and Alex McFall, EASTERN Landscape Contracting student and a junior from Upper Moreland High School.
EASTERN is a public school serving students in Eastern Montgomery County school districts. Districts include Abington, Bryn Athyn, Cheltenham, Hatboro-Horsham, Jenkintown, Lower Moreland, Springfield, Upper Dublin and Upper Moreland. Students benefit from specialized career programs that give them a competitive edge in college or in a career. The campus is located at 3075 Terwood Road in Willow Grove. For more information, please contact Amy Shields, Organizational Advancement Director, at 215-784-4806, or visit the school’s website at www.eastech.org, and become a fan on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/EasternCenter.