MCRC Announces Candidate Endorsements for 2012
All 21 endorsements based of 2001 district maps; primary could be pushed back
With the legislative district maps still in dispute, more than 400 Montgomery County Republicans gathered at the Crown Plaza in King of Prussia on Thursday night to endorse the GOP slate of candidates for the upcoming November election.
Montgomery County Republican Committee Chairman Robert Kerns said that the party had to base its endorsements on the 2001 legislative map, and that depending on how the situation unfolds, the group may have to reschedule its primary election.
"We're in a situation right now, where this evening, we are going to be endorsing based on the 2001 map," said Kerns. "If the map changes, we could also have a change in the election day. That is a possibility that we all have to understand. The primary may be pushed back."
State Representative Mike Vereb, of the 150th Legislative District, added that the Republican caucus had submitted a new legislative map for review by the Legislative Reapportionment Commission, though Kerns said it would be all but impossible for the submission to go through a review and approval process prior to the April primary.
Regardless of the map dispute, Kerns was happy with the speed and unity of the MCRC's endorsement process, and he praised his group on its ability to rally behind one another.
"We have shown that we can unite behind candidates," said Kerns. "Unity is what the Republican party is all about. We need it, we have to have it to survive, and we have to have it to win."
Here is a the list of all 21 candidates who were formally endorsed by the Republican party on Thursday night.
- 53rd district - Robert Godshall, of Franconia
- 61st district - Kate Harper, of Lower Gwynedd
- 70th district - Alan Apt, of East Norriton
- 146th district - Tom Quigley, of Royersford
- 147th district - Marcy Toepel, of Douglas Township
- 148th district - Mike Ludwick, of Conshohocken
- 149th district - Perry Hamilton, of Lower Merion
- 150th district - Mike Vereb, of West Norriton
- 151st district - Todd Stevens, of Horsham
- 152nd district - Tom Murt, of Upper Moreland
- 153rd district - Nick Mattiacci, of Abington
- 194th district - Linda Bateman, of Philadelphia
- 157th district - Warren Kampf, of Chester County
- 17th district - Charles Gehret, of West Conshohocken
- 19th district - Chris Amentas, of Chester County
United States Congress:
- 2nd district - Robert Mansfield
- 6th district - Jim Gerlach
- 7th district - Pat Meehan
- 8th district - Mike Fitzpatrick
- 13th district - Joe Rooney