Red Cross Helps Willow Grove Family after House Fire
An Upper Moreland family has been displaced after a house fire on early Friday morning.
The Willow Grove Volunteer Fire Company responded to a residential fire on the 200 block of Summit Avenue in Willow Grove, in the early morning of March 2.
According to Upper Moreland Fire Marshal Robert Drennen, fire crews responded to the call on the second floor of a duplex property at 2:04 a.m.
Drennen said that the fire affected a family of three, two adults and one child. According to Drennen, the male adult made the 911 call, reporting that a fire had occurred in the kitchen area, emanating from the stove.
Upon arrival, the fire crews found that the male adult extinguished the fire in the kitchen; however, the fire had travelled up to the roof via the kitchen’s ventilation duct.
According to Drennen, heavy smoke damage occurred throughout the second floor of the duplex property, along with extensive damage to the roof.
The fire marshal has called the fire an accident, pending further investigation.
It was reported that the duplex property owner was on scene on the morning of the fire, and the property owner’s insurance company is also investigating.
It is unknown if the family of five, two adults and three children, who live on the bottom floor of the duplex, are currently staying in the property.
According to Sara Smith, spokesperson for the American Red Cross, the family of three living on the second floor of the duplex, are currently staying at another location.
Smith said that the American Red Cross of Southeastern Pennsylvania is providing that family with financial assistance for food and clothing, and will follow up with them, should alternate lodging become necessary.
“All assistance is provided free of charge and funded entirely by donations,” Smith said in an e-mail. “Anyone wishing to help local families affected by disasters like this can make a donation by visiting phillyhomefire.org .”