First Course: Tomato Melts
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 2 oz. Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 small yellow, red or green pepper, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut each tomato into halves, slices about 1/2 inch thick.
- Arrange tomatoes on foil lined baking sheet, sprinkle with cheese and peppers. Drizzle a little olive oil over the tomatoes.
- Bake about 15 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
- Carefully lift off baking sheet with large spatula and place onto individual plates.
Second Course: Steak au Poivre
- 1/2 Tbs. Cracked black pepper
- 2 tenderloin steaks, cut about 1 inch thick
- 1 Tbs. butter
- ¼ cup beef broth
- ¼ cup whipping cream (DO NOT use substitures)
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Press pepper onto both sides of the steaks.
- In a large skillet, cook steaks in hot butter over medium heat to desired doneness, turning only once. (Allow 10 to 13 minutes to medium to medium rare.) Transfer steaks to serving platter, and reserve drippings. Keep steaks warm.
- Remove skillet from burner and allow to stand for one minute. For sauce, carefully stir in broth, scraping up browned bits. Stir in whipping cream and mustard, and bring to a boil.
- Boil gently, uncovered over medium heat, for 5 to 6 minutes, or until mixture is reduced to about ½ a cup, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon sauce over steaks and serve.
Third Course: Chocolate Lava Cakes
- 8 oz. Semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 stick butter
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 Tbs. Flour
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- 4 eggs
- Butter, to coat muffin tin
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place in a small bowl, over a saucepan with simmering water, melt chocolate and butter in the small bowl. Stir in the vanilla.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, flour and salt.
- Sift the flour mixture into the chocolate and mix well.
- Ad one egg at a time, fully incorporating each egg before adding the next.
- Beat with an electric stand mixer on high until batter is creamy and lighter in color, about 4 minutes.
- Coat a muffin tin with butter (or spray oil like Pam).
- Spoon mixture into pan using ice cream scoop pr small ladle.
- Bake for 10 to 11 minutes.
(makes one dozen. Extras can be refrigerated.)