Whether you prefer the convenience of drive-thru immunization, or walk-in service, flu clinics are in full swing throughout Horsham and Montgomery County.
CVS Pharmacy, which has locations locally at 2870 Moreland Road in Willow Grove; and 670 Welsh Road in Huntingdon Valley, offers flu shots every day. Customers can walk in or schedule an appointment.
Giant Food Stores, 315 York Road in Willow Grove, is offering flu shots in the pharmacy. Cost is $35 and insurance is accepted.
Rite Aid, 2182 County Line Road in Huntingdon Valley, is offering flu shots.
In addition to the flu shot locales in the Upper Moreland area, the Montgomery County Health Department is offering a series of flu clinics including:
- Walk-in flu clinic on Oct. 3 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Norristown Public Library, 1001 Powell St., in Norristown
- Walk-in flu clinic on Oct. 8 from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. at Upper Merion Township building, 175 W. Valley Forge Road, King of Prussia
- Walk-in flu clinic on Oct. 10 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Congregation Beth Or, 239 Welsh Road in Maple Glen
- Drive-thru flu clinic on Oct. 12 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Montgomery County Community College, 340 DeKalb Pike in Blue Bell
- Walk-in flu clinic on Oct. 19 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Abington Junior High School, 2056 Susquehanna Road, Abington
Click here to see the complete list of Montgomery County clinics.
Influenza, or the "flu,” is a contagious respiratory illness caused by viruses infecting the nose, throat and lungs.
Symptoms include muscle or body aches, headaches, cough, sore throat, fatigue, fever or chills, and vomiting and diarrhea (the latter two are more common in kids). The flu can also worsen chronic medical conditions or cause death.
Unfortunately, flu viruses can spread easily via infected people coughing, sneezing or even just talking. Folks are contagious a day before symptoms appear and up to a week after getting sick.
It’s also possible to get the flu by touching something with the flu virus on it and then touching your mouth, eyes or nose.
The CDC recommends that everyone 6 months and up get an annual flu vaccine as early as possible, as it takes a few weeks to reach full immunity.
To find other places to get a flu shot locally, check out: