[Updated 8 p.m.]
A fire engulfed the rear of a single family dwelling in Hatboro during the mid-afternoon today.
The house, located along the 2500 Block of Horsham Road, belongs to a family, whose one member belongs to both Second Alarmers Rescue Squad and Hatboro’s Enterprise Fire Company.
According to Upper Moreland Fire Marshal Robert Drennen, who was on scene investigating the house fire, the family was not at home at the time of the fire
According to Drennen, the call was sent out at 3:22 p.m. Upper Moreland Fire Department, along with Willow Grove Volunteer Fire Company Squad 10 and Enterprise Fire Company Ladder 95 arrived simultaneously at the scene. Horsham Fire Department was also on scene to assist.
By 3:38 p.m. fire crews were able to confine the fire to a first floor rear room of the house. However, due to exposure to smoke and soot, Drennen said the house is uninhabitable.
“It’s all lost, the whole back of the house,” Nicole Brown, an owner of the house, said. “We don’t know what to do now. But, we will figure it out.”
According to Brown, she and her family left their home at approximately 2:30 p.m. today, en route to a sporting event, when their cross-the-street neighbor called around 3 p.m., alerting them about the fire.
Brown said the same neighbor alerted authorities at that time, as well.
According to Brown, her family returned home before 4 p.m. to find the fire already extinguished.
She also found that the family’s Blue Labrador Retriever, Haley, who was left home at the time, was successfully rescued by Enterprise Fire Department’s deputy chief Chuck McEroy.
Drennen said the cause of the fire is still pending the investigation results.
[Original story appears below]
Fire crews were called to a single-family dwelling in the 2500 block of Horsham Road in Upper Moreland on Tuesday after a fire broke out in a first floor rear bedroom.
Fire officials said they were alerted to the blaze by a neighbor shortly before 4 p.m.
Nobody was home at the time of the fire, but firefighter Chuck McElroy of the was credited with saving a pet dog from inside the house.
The house was said to have been rendered uninhabitable by the fire.
We'll have more details on this story later today.