Upper Moreland Township will participate in a "Gun Buyback" program along with the Abington and Upper Dublin Police Departments.
People will given a reward for turning in their firearms in an effort to get dangerous weapons off the streets. Handguns and Rifles: $75.00; Assault Rifles: $125.00.
The collection will take place on Saturday, Sept. 29 from 9:00 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the New Bethel AME Church, 1646 Prospect Avenue, Willow Grove; (215) 659-5184
- All guns will be turned in anonymously: No I.D. required or asked for, no questions asked.
- Guns must be a real gun and not a BB, Airsoft, pellet or handmade gun. ALL GUNS TURNED IN SHOULD BE UNLOADED.
- Police Personnel will be present to accept the guns. Police will have a portable unloading barrel to make sure guns being turned in are unloaded and safe. Police on-site will be the sole determining factor of whether a gun qualifies for the rebate and how much.
- EVERY GUN COLLECTED WILL BE DESTROYED.
- News Media will be prohibited from the site to avoid scaring people away who don't want to be identified. After the event the News Media will be invited to take pictures of the collected guns and allowed to talk to the Community Leaders who organized it.
- If anyone in the area has a gun they want to turn in but is afraid to bring it in safely on their own, we will gladly send an unmarked police car to pick it up. Call New Bethel AME Church at the above number.
Sponsored by GIANT. Payment will be in the form of gift cards from GIANT.