Twenty-nine students from (Eastern) in Willow Grove won medals in skill areas or leadership at the SkillsUSA District Competitions, held Feb. 9 at Bucks County Technical High School.
Students from Bucks, Chester, Delaware and Montgomery counties took part. Winners of gold medals will compete at the state level in Hershey this April.
SkillsUSA is a national student leadership organization that encourages students to be productive individuals in our democratic society, work to their potential, become responsible, and be proud of their accomplishments and supportive of their community.
Medalists from Eastern include:
Gold Medal Winners:
- Advertising Design – Nick Raimondi (Hatboro-Horsham/Commercial Art)
- Auto Service Spec – Bryan Doyle (Springfield/Automotive Technology)
- Extemporaneous Speech – David Moman (Springfield/Computer Network Administration)
- Job Interview – Michael Gabage (Jenkintown/Computer Network Administration)
- Job Skill Demo – Sarah Hill (Hatboro-Horsham/Cosmetology)
Silver Medal Winners:
- Cosmetology – Carrissa Kemmerling (Abington/Cosmetology)
- Culinary Arts – Darren Layre (Hatboro-Horsham/Culinary Arts)
- Electronics Technology – Kevin Cawley (Hatboro-Horsham/Electronics Engineering Technology)
- Firefighting – Chris Chandler (Hatboro-Horsham/Protective Services)
- Prepared Speech – Kelly Tascarella (Upper Dublin/Protective Services)
- State Pin Design – Polly Kovalzon (Lower Moreland/Commercial Art)
- Team Works – Zach Matteo (Upper Moreland/Construction Technology, Tom Gauss (Abington/Electrical Technology), Mark Sippel (Upper Moreland/Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning), Bob Brennan (Abington/Construction Technology)
Bronze Medal Winners:
- Crime Scene Investigation – Ariel Gil, Adrian Katkocin, and Dave McDonald (Abington/Protective Services)
- Criminal Justice – Dave Canela (Cheltenham/Protective Services)
- Internetworking – Charles Mickles (Springfield/Computer Network Administration)
- Nail Care – Kelly Dietrich (Upper Moreland/Cosmetology)
- Opening and Closing Ceremonies – Grace Albert, Nichole Hamilton, and Myra Bannister (Upper Moreland/Commercial Art); Keren Suissa (Lower Moreland/Commercial Art); Won Jung (Cheltenham/Commercial Art); Macklin McNichol and DaSom Kim (Abington/Commercial Art);
- Photography – Teresa Lesenko (Archbishop Wood/Commercial Art).
Eastern is a public school serving students in eastern Montgomery County school districts.
For more information, visit www.eastech.org.
Information and photos courtesy of