Monday, April 29, 2013
A report of a building fire was called into Willow Grove Fire Co. over the weekend.
[Update 4-29-13] According to John Fugelo, Willow Grove Volunteer Fire Co. captain, the reported building fire that occurred on the evening of April 26, at the intersection of Krewson Terrace and Church Street in Willow Grove was not serious in nature. Fugelo stated that the fire originated in a resident's oven in conjunction with a plastic container or substance, but was self-contained. [Original report follows] A building fire was reported at the corner of Krewson Terrace and Church Street, just a block up from York Road in Upper Moreland Township. According to Montgomery County Department of Public Safety's Computer-Aided dispatch system, units were called out at 9:14 p.m. for a building fire at that intersection. Crews arrived at the …
Thursday, April 25, 2013
The county's top five news stories for the month of April shouldn't be missed.
It's hard to keep track of all the sources of news out there. Thankfully, Patch is here to package it all up nicely for you. Even with a frequent eye on the sites, you are bound to miss a few good stories. With over 12 sites in the county, it's nearly impossible to read the best items. Of course, we have a way to make that easier for you, too. Check out these top five stories from Montgomery County Patch sites for the month of April. Did you miss a hot aritcle? Now's your chance to catch up on the latest buzz. Here are the must-see headlines: Did you have a favorite we missed? Share the link in the comments below, so other readers can enjoy a great story just like you.
Monday, April 8, 2013
Resident Becca Polard sent these pictures in from the multi-alarm fire in Horsham Sunday.
- POLICE & FIRE
Monday, April 8
A multi-alarm fire broke out in front of the leasing office at the Blair Mill Apartments, 298 Blair Mill Road, Horsham, on Sunday at 1:43 p.m. While multiple fire crews have worked to control the blaze, resident Becca Polard posted these two photos from a nearby distance. Read the full story here
Friday, February 22, 2013
An explosion at a Hatboro home in Upper Moreland sends locals for emergency care.
Three people were left burned after a gas explosion at a Hatboro home in Upper Moreland Township. Two have been taken to local hospitals for care. According to the Department of Public Safety of Montgomery County, emergency crews were called out at 10:38 p.m. to a call in Upper Moreland Township to the 2700 block of Broadway Avenue. A medivac helicopter was called in, and landed at Willow Grove Mall in order to transport one victim who had "life threatening injuries" according to scanner reports. A second victim was being taken to a local hospital. The person's status was unknown to Montgomery County Dispatch, but discussions of taking the burn victim via helicopter or ambulance was still being decided at this hour. A third ambulance was…
Friday, January 18, 2013
Firefighters respond to a fire at Willow Lake, a senior housing facility in Willow Grove.
An elderly victim was flown by medical helicopter to a burn center in Philadelphia after a blaze at the Upper Moreland retirement home where they live. A fire sprinkler system held the fire to just one room in a residential unit at the Willow Lake community on York Road, Willow Grove Fire Company Chief Brian Focht said. The victim suffered burns at around 6 p.m. and is being treated at the burn center at Temple University Hospital, Focht said. A medical helicopter landed at Upper Moreland High School to transport the victim. Smoke and water damage on the third floor of the assisted living community are causing some residents of the community to be relocated, officials said. Focht said several extra ambulances were brought in to assist with…
Wednesday, October 31, 2012
A fire at the Willow Ridge Center caused 80 residents to leave the building.
- POLICE & FIRE
Wednesday, October 31, 2012
A brush fire caused by a generator outside of the Willow Ridge Center forced 80 residents to evacuate the building around 2:30 p.m. Tuesday. The Upper Moreland Police Department confirmed that a generator outside of the building caused a brush fire. According to the police, the fire was "never out of control" and residents were only outside "for a few short minutes" until the fire was under control. According to the Breaking News Network, residents were moved nearby at Luther Park Personal Assistance until they were eventually let back in the building.
Friday, October 5, 2012
As many as 40 housing units and 100 residents have been affected by the fire, the Red Cross says.
Friday, June 29, 2012
A reported garage fire occurred in the early morning hours on Friday.
[Updated noon] A structure fire was reported early this morning in Huntingdon Valley. According to Willow Grove Volunteer Fire Chief Lee Perlmutter, the call went out at 7:51 a.m. for a outside garage on the property of 1601 Huntingdon Road. According to Perlmutter, a passing motorist alerted the owner of smoke on his property. Fire crews from Willow Grove Fire Company Squad 10, Engine 10 arrived on scene with responders from Bryn Athyn Engine 11 and Abington Ladder 100. According to Perlmutter, the fire crews were able to control the garage within 20 minutes on arrival. Perlmutter added that a hazmatt team was also called, due to the presence of gasoline containers in the garage. The fire is being considered accidental in nature, pending …
Thursday, February 2, 2012
Representative Todd Stephens hopes to introduce "Turn Around, Don't Drown" legislation that would stiffen penalties for motorists who ignore road closures during flooding.
In the best possible scenarios, emergency responders who rescue a driver from floodwaters look back a few years later and chuckle at the centenarian who was out to buy bananas in the middle of a hurricane. In the worst cases, they look back and remember the friend and colleague they lost in the raging currents while attempting to rescue a victim who shouldn’t have been there in the first place. With soon-to-be-proposed legislation, representative Todd Stephens (R-151) hopes to curb the frequency of both those occurrences. Stephens' bill, called "Turn Around, Don't Drown," would impose a fine of $500 for driving around a barrier closing a road for hazardous conditions. It also calls for a 90-day license suspension if the driver's vehicle …
Monday, January 9, 2012
Fire crews are on scene
Update 10:03 p.m.: Upper Moreland Township Fire Marshall Robert Drennen said that the fire, pending an investigation, was likely accidental in nature. The owners were home at the time of the fire's start. He said they were all, including two adults, two children and a dog, safely evacuated from the home. The fire, according to Drennen, started in the home's basement. Firefighters entered through the back door, he said, and saw the fire at the base of the basement steps. He said there will be a formal investigation tomorrow but that it seemed to be accidental. Update 9:40 p.m.: According to Willow Grove Volunteer Fire Chief Lee Perlmutter, the fire at the scene was under control within about half of an hour. The crews arrived at 8:22 p.m. …